Well, April certainly was an eventful month. As soon as some questions about the coronavirus were answered, more were presented. As we roll into May, we know that we’re not out of the woods yet and we expect to have some trying times ahead. Especially with the spring weather kicking in (and it will kick in eventually), more people are going to want to be outdoors, and our natural instinct as social creatures may put us or our family members in riskier situations.
As good neighbors and citizens, we WILL be careful to use masks and socially distance for a while longer, but one way to feel more secure about the eventual return to society is to shore up our immune systems now!
For the avid consumer of Capitol Rehab materials, you’ve probably heard me say this A LOT lately, and I can’t stress it enough: Supporting your immune system is essential! Fortunately, there are MANY, many ways to do so.
In an effort to shed some light on preventative measures to help protect you against the virus, I want to recap the “Immunity Minute,” we recently shared. This was a seven-part series on building your immunity to fight virus and bacteria. Dr. Denia Tapscott also held a webinar last month that went into great detail on ways to support your immune health during these challenging times.
We shared a lot of information and I hope it’s not overwhelming, but let me summarize:
- You need to consider increasing your levels of essential vitamins and minerals: Vitamin C, Vitamin D3 and zinc.
- Essential foods you need to eat more of include garlic, ginger, and colorful vegetables.
- Other foods you may want to eat to support immunity include bone broth, onions, citrus, and mushrooms.
- Hydration is critical! The right amount of water for your body each day is calculated as half of your body weight in ounces. Also, don’t forget the benefits of green tea.
- Get more sleep. Shoot for 8-10 hours per day, and definitely NOT less than seven. And turn off the Wi-Fi.
- Exercise is key. The best kind of exercise is the one you’re willing to do.
- Chiropractic care improves your metabolism. See your chiropractor on a regular basis (I’m not just saying that because it may be me!).
If you missed the webinar with Dr. Tapscott, you can check it out on our YouTube channel (don’t forget to subscribe to our channel). To follow up on her webinar, Dr. Tapscott is offering 15-minute consultations to find out exactly what STEPS YOU NEED TO TAKE NEXT. The right approach is particular to each individual. Dr. Tapscott can get you started on the right path for your health. Sign up here for a phone or video call consult.
Immunity is important and because chiropractic is so vital to good health, after a brief hiatus, we have re-opened to serve you Monday through Saturday, taking special concern to provide a safe and sterile environment. Starting next week, two of our massage therapists, James Moore and Brenda Smith, will begin seeing patients on a very limited basis. Please call to check on their availability or use our online appointment scheduler.
If you’re experiencing stress or want to discuss other health issues — and especially if you have GOOD news to share — feel free to reach out to us to let us know how things are going. We are always here for you.